Saturday, March 31, 2007

Surprises and blessings!


My husband pulled off another fast one on me. I had chosen my favorite Thai restaurant for us to go to for my birthday, as it was on our way to pick up my daughter at her workplace. When we arrived and my husband told the hostess we had a reservation, she said, "Yes, that was for 12?" I shook my head to say, no it's for 2, when I spotted some of our friends sitting at a table with a view of the lake. 'Surprise!!', they shouted much too loudly. I was genuinely floored - I used to be good at detecting secrets. I had a wonderful meal full of many varieties of all my favorite Thai dishes, and wonderful company of family and friends. When I tried to order dessert I'm still not sure if the waitress lied about the menu. They have always had cheesecake on the menu, but she said they had mango rice or banana fritters for dessert. Not my choice after just eating rice for the meal! But she knew that my husband had arranged for family to bring a cake he had ordered (with strawberries and kiwi between the layers! Yum!!). The staff brought it out with candles and sang to me. I was given lovely gifts and flowers and felt very blessed indeed. I have found there was one advantage to turning a 'higher' number for my birthday. I was given gift certificates worth $1 for each year of my life, along with the remark, 'don't you wish you were older?' Now if I can get seniors' discounts when I go shopping I'll be all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment