Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Shiverrrrr!!!

It's been a full time job lately feeding the wildlife...they eat it as quickly as I put it out. Birds need to eat all day every day in this kind of bitter cold in order to have enough energy to stay warm. But they provide me great pleasure in return and keep me ever ready with camera in hand.... even if the shots are poor from the window of a warm house.




This would be why the neighbours have been heard to say, "I don't know where all the goldfinches have gone. We used to have so many around here!"






Um, sorry....they would all be at my house.








Goldfinches are olive in colour in the winter, but will begin to turn a bright lemony yellow in spring.

Red finches and house finches...





I continually try for that elusive perfect 'cardinal in snow' picture. At times we have many more than I can count, but they flit around so quickly and never stay still!
















And then there are other wildlife who are undaunted by the snow and cold.....





3 comments:

  1. I see Nikki is making dog angels again!

    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. Next time you visit check the right side for my other blog "Walk With Nature". You might like that one also.

    Your picture you call Red finch and House finch is partially right. The one in the back appears to be a female Goldfinch and the one in the front is a Male House Finch. Just thought I'd left you know for your future reference.

    You are right. The Cardinal is one of the hardest birds to get good pictures of for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right Richard. I should leave it to the experts to name birds!

    ReplyDelete