Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cinderella


Do you have little ones in the house and find yourself rushing your play times with them, their bedtimes and story times? I remember the exhaustion! Steven Curtis Chapman wrote the song (and book), 'Cinderella' in 2007 and since losing his 5 year old daughter two weeks ago, that song is now getting a lot of playtime on the radio. It's got to be heart wrenching for him now to hear that song in his mind. His manager, Jim Houser, wrote this in October 2007:
'I laugh every time I hear Steven share the story of how "Cinderella" was written. And in my work, I get to hear him tell it a lot. When he talks about rushing bath time and rushing story time and, then the pay off when he knows they should pray but he knows the girls will drag it out so he says 'ok, pray, but pray quick, immediate family only!' That always gets a chuckle from me. You'd think being in this kind of proximity to such a prolific writer would mean that I would really "get it." You'd be wrong.
The other night, after a particularly long day at the office, and a long few hours after dinner that night at home I'm embarrassed to admit I was rushing through story time with my three kids. Downstairs the ipod was playing the "Jim's post dinner playlist" and at a certain providential moment, Steven's new song "Cinderella" began to play. As it drifted up the steps within earshot, the reminder washed over me and through Steven's lyric and God tapped me on the shoulder. I felt God impress upon me the thought, "you have less story times than you think left. Better slow down Houser." '
Sober reminder to us all. Love your family and spend quality time with them. These moments are precious. Cherish them.
Listen to the song here. Then go hug your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment