Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If you come visit, use the back door

I made you all a couple of little amateur video clips for your viewing pleasure one of which is accompanied by music that will lull you to sleep and make you think you're watching a nature show. Don't worry, I didn't narrate. Check them out at the end of the blog post.

We have a new porch guest that I assume will be taking up residence soon. This lovely lady literally spent more than 12 hours Monday working on her nest right outside our front door, and was back at it finishing up the next morning. She went shopping for materials in my gardens all day long, and brought mud along to hold it all together. I always leave some prime nesting materials around when I clean up in spring, instead of throwing it all out. ("Ooooh, that would be great for lining a nest - I need to leave some of that out! The chickadees can gather up our dog's fur, so I'll spread that around"....etc).

It was so cool last year to watch the cardinals' nest outside the bedroom and to hold hours-old baby cardinals in my hand. It was phenomenal to watch baby blue jays learning to fly in the backyard last summer and enjoy a brief moment of a baby sitting next to me on the swing. I am sure it is those same two blue jay siblings that still stick together and come around to the same tree even now. So this year will be a new experience with a momma robin right beside the door we always use and by the porch lights that are always on. Unfortunately, knowing what I've heard about robins, our lives might be in danger!

I exaggerate....but I don't relish me, my family, or guests being dive-bombed when we're coming and going. So I'll warn everyone I know about momma robin if you value your head...steer clear!....mmmmm.....except for those pesky sales people that come a-knocking. No....I've got my tripod set up inside the door to film the baby robins....but I just might get some great comedic shots of sales people running from our house. This could be all good.

Here's what Dad was doing while Mom was working her little heart out. Why DO Dads seem to have more fun?
(The Picasa 'embed' feature does not seem to be working for the videos. You will be linked to my albums instead of viewing directly here - sorry)

Here's Momma. Stay tuned for the eggs and babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment