Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Moment of Awe

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm an obsessed bird lover. Today when I came home from work, I had a near-perfect moment for a bird lover. Let me backtrack a bit before I tell you about it.

I've always wanted to be able to watch the activity of a bird's nest up close, but the placement of denser trees and windows at our place have never seemed to allow it. But just over a week ago we realized with all the commotion and chasing of blue jays and such, that Momma Cardinal was nesting in a tall bush just beneath our bedroom window. If we strain, we can catch a glimpse of the nest below us, but the camera can't capture it from inside. My husband sensed my eagerness for a picture from above, so when Momma flew to the bird feeder (which I eagerly keep topped up for her and her mate), he removed a window pane - no easy feat with our big old need-to-be-replaced-but-can't-afford-it heavy sliding windows. I popped my head out into the fresh air and snapped several pictures of the eggs in the nest directly below. Within moments, Mom and Dad were flapping and squawking at this intruder hanging out the window.
Five beautiful eggs! We had noticed this week however, that Momma seemed to sit on only four, as the fifth egg was always visible. Maybe she knew she could only manage four mouths to feed or perhaps birds know when one isn't going to hatch?? It's been kind of cool to know that as I settle down in my 'nest', there's another momma just on the other side of the wall.
I have enjoyed watching the interaction between Mom and Dad. He's always guarding...flitting around nearby and diving at anything that gets near, making sure Mom has moments to stretch, get food and water - he'll even pass some food to her. Both Mom and Dad fly furiously at blue jays, hitting them until they fly off. That's one disadvantage of keeping the feeders topped up - it attracts all the 'enemies' too. Blue jays and crows are particular culprits for robbing nests of eggs and baby birds.
So I have developed an affinity for this couple and a hope for their little family.

Tonight when I came home from work, had fed the dog, filled the bird feeders and had dinner on the BBQ, I decided to take my camera out for another shot of Momma and the nest from a safe distance.
As I took the picture, I suddenly realized the nest was on an extreme angle pointed downward, and the nest appeared empty except for that one egg that Momma had not been sitting on. She was out of the nest. I quickly moved and looked below the nest and my heart sank. There on the ground lay the tiniest little fleshly bodies. Something must have suddenly attacked and upset the nest to cause these new born babies to be flung to the earth. I put my camera in the house and went in behind the bush to take a closer look. Momma was in the bush flitting around and watching me. Such a pathetic little motionless heap that lay there. I felt profoundly sad.

As I knelt down to examine more closely, suddenly there was movement in the heap! The heaving of a tiny chest, the beating of a heart. At least one was alive! I shook off the thought that this was going to feel like picking up a worm, and cautiously picked up this tiny piece of flesh in disbelief. It opened its tiny beak. I allowed a fleeting thought to leave my mind - a thought to grab my camera for an amazing picture of fragile life in my hand. But I couldn't delay. Momma was becoming very distressed at my presence and I didn't have the heart to watch her be so alarmed. I paused long enough to savour the moment of holding a day old baby cardinal, less than two inches long in my hand. Then I moved over to the nest as Mom hopped around and loudly squawked at me. I righted the nest as best I could, though the cedar branches were not too sturdy, and I placed the baby inside. Then I picked up the next tiny mass of flesh. Still moving! The third - also alive! I tried to remove the pieces of mulch off of their bodies and placed them in the nest. Then I made a hasty retreat into the house so Momma could calm down. I peeked out the bedroom window to see her back in the nest sheltering her little ones.

It was not until a little later that I realized there was one baby unaccounted for. I carefully looked around again outside but alas, it is gone...unless...examine that picture of the nest above and see if you think that might be another bird next to the egg??
Time will tell whether these little rescued ones will make it. It must have been a hard landing for them. I read tonight that adult cardinals are on to building a second nest for another brood soon after the first batch are pushed off onto their own. If these little ones survive, Mom and Dad will feed them, teach them how to fend for themselves ("here's where the feeders are and this lady will keep them full for you"), and then they'll be busy starting all over again.

The cycle of human life is much different than this 'automatic' instinct we observe in nature. It requires our interaction, love, sacrifice, caring and action in the meeting of each other's needs.
The cycle of life in the bird world.
Normal.....but not without wonder.
It will always be a marvel to me.
It does not require my intervention....but it was an awesome experience to hold a moment of it in my hand!

2 comments:

  1. It does look as though there's something by the egg, doesn't it!? What colour are the babies?

    What an amazing story -- literally AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome you got to save them! I want to know if they stay alive! I hope they do!
    Love the story and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete