Monday, February 23, 2009

Uninvited guest at the table

I have a broken but adequate dish outside our front door that serves as a table for invited guests...of the bird variety of course. Birds of all kinds come to dine and I can hear their chatter when I pull in the driveway as they await my arrival home.

If I don't provide dinner right away, they sit at the empty table, looking in the window of the door....waiting.

After it is filled, they quickly pounce...often within seconds of the door closing as I retreat into the house again.

















This morning I wasn't prepared for who was waiting for a handout.

I wouldn't mind feeding him if he would eat seeds or fruit. He might be handsome, but I wasn't about to provide any of my beautiful birds for him to eat. I purposely put out some peanuts for the crows today because they pester, chase and dive at this hawk.




Never thought I'd want crows in my yard, but I'm beginning to appreciate them!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I recognize that guy! (the hawk). I have one just like him that hangs out around my place. He is one of the stars of my blog. He must really get around, because I live in the Sonoran desert. I wound up naming mine "Henery" after Foghorn Leghorn's little nemesis. My Parrot sounds an alarm when he flies over to warn the Doves and Quail.
    You have a great blog!

    ReplyDelete