Monday, September 1, 2008

Of Cardinals and Crows

If it's not already evident, I am an avid bird watcher - well at least in my own neighbourhood. I'm not a junkie or anything - like those people who go out at early morning hours into wooded areas or ponds to count birds and keep records...

But I keep an eye on the birds in our yard and lately it's been all about cardinals and crows. Who doesn't love a cardinal? Beautiful, graceful, faithful birds. The most I have ever seen at a time is usually a family of four. Mom and Dad take turns helping each other feed and raise the young son and daughter - everything but the picket fence and the golden retriever....(well actually she is nearby). But this year I can't even count all the cardinals. I've counted up to nine at once in a tree and then I lose track. So we have set up special feeders just for them (try to tell that to the squirrels), with their favorite offering of sunflower and safflower seeds.

Tonight we spotted yet another small baby cardinal being steadily, faithfully fed by his Dad from one of our feeders. But then we heard the 'Caw Caw!!' of a crow above and Dad flew off. I don't know if the baby is okay because we had to leave.




Crows around our place always seem to travel in threes. When you're used to viewing songbirds, the crows remind me of huge thugs from the mafia - with New Joisey accents and cigars in their mouths. It got me interested in what crows eat - I was hoping it wasn't baby birds, but well...let's not talk about that.

I googled crows and did a little research. I've always heard that crows were super intelligent so I got a chuckle out of this video on Youtube.

And this one, though it made me a little nervous. (I don't like wild birds around who might be more intelligent than me).

Although I think it's very cool, I doubt you'll find me doing this with any crow (or raven) anytime soon....nor with a skittish cardinal, though I'd love to.

No comments:

Post a Comment