Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Basket case

Imagine filling a school bus full of non-perishable food. Then picture doing it about 8-9 more times. Then try unloading these buses of all of the food and sorting it!

I've discovered I live in a very caring community! My husband and I had fun this evening, as we did last week, with many other people helping sort food for the Christmas baskets for needy families within our community. There have been busloads and ambulance loads full of food donations - schools, businesses, and groups provided so very much. I've never seen so much generosity in one place. We formed assembly lines to empty the bags and boxes, group the food, then pack into boxes ready to be distributed to the food bank and to Christmas baskets. I only wish I was available to actually deliver those baskets to families, but it will be done during daytime hours when I am working. I would love to see their faces and know the joy of helping a family in need.

Yes the Christmas spirit is in full swing. But I must remind myself at this season....what about the other 11 months of the year? People still struggle and are needy....at any time. The workers and donations are few at other times of the year.

Note to self: Ask myself monthly, "Am I finding opportunities regularly to donate time to individuals in need, the food bank, and other community endeavours? If not....why not??"

No comments:

Post a Comment