Monday, October 15, 2007

Ripples

Our decisions and choices in life are like a drop of water. Seem so small, insignificant, not of much importance to anyone but ourselves.





What we often fail to notice is the ripple effect. One small decision....one selfish action....sends out ripples....that affect many....some with lifelong consequences.


We can't begin to comprehend how many feel the ripples or what their names are ....it would surprise and astound us if we knew.

We do not live to ourselves. Our sphere of influence is much greater than we can suppose.

Who is to blame if the ripples from my actions have negative affects on others?


Me.

I can blame no one else, nor can I judge someone else's actions. I am responsible for me. I don't know how far my influence goes. Whether I realize it or not, many depend on me for moral actions and right choices.

I hold the power to build...or tear down. Encourage...or discourage. Live truth...or ignore it. Be real...or hide beneath a mask. Face my mistakes....or run from them.

Imagine a world where everyone took responsibility for just their own actions and no longer based decisions on selfishness? Men and women would not selfishly use each other....no rape....no murder... no abuse....no deceit....no cheating....no families with an absentee mom or a dad....no broken commitments....no poor and starving...no one uncared for.


I can't change the world. But I can choose to allow God to change me. I have to care enough to want it. It is my choice whether the ripples that inevitably spread from my actions are positive or negative. Wouldn't it be awesome for our country to be awash in unselfishness? It all starts here. With me.



"Nothing is going to change in the Congo until you and I figure out what is wrong with the person in the mirror." Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Lynn. That really speaks to my heart and I know it does you, too. You are truly a blessing to me and my family!

    ReplyDelete