Saturday, July 23, 2011

Critter Cottage Bed & Breakfast

Do you love nature, flowers, birds, butterflies, and wildlife?
Need a getaway vacation?
I am considering opening a Bed and Breakfast at our home called 'Critter Cottage' or perhaps, 'Rodent Retreat'. If you love wildlife it'll be just the place for you!

My husband and I spent a week away on vacation last week and although we live in the city, I swear the wildlife moved in while we were gone. When we returned home late in the evening the sidewalk leading up to the front porch was covered with a pile of dirt, obviously dug up from under the rose bush. After entering the house and looking back outside, we spotted a raccoon whom we had obviously caught in the act.


Raccoon

He ambled off down the sidewalk leaving his mess for us to clean up. Up to this point, raccoons have always lived across the street. I am hoping that extended family has not taken up residence on our property. That remains to be seen.

We spent one day errand running, and then we were off again for a one-night-away excursion to start our second week of vacation. Our return drive was a long one and we arrived home around midnight - tired, weary, and ready for bed. I was about to step out of the car when I caught a glimpse in the darkness of a white stripe and bushy tail - pretty kitty! He was busily digging in the lawn but approaching the car. Sigh. We felt trapped.  My husband finally started the car again and angled it to shine headlights at the skunk (and probably into neighbours' bedroom windows). It began to head away from us...only to reverse and work it's way into the garden next to the car. Finally, because this kitty didn't really seem interested in our presence, we decided to take a round about walk to the front porch. As I was carefully slinking towards the porch... my eye on the white stripe and the location of its tail......I heard my husband say, "There's two of them!".
Skunks

A bird feeder lay collapsed on the ground (likely knocked down by the afore-mentioned raccoon) and the second skunk was oblivious to everything but the seed he was devouring. Meanwhile, Kitty #1 seemed confused whether to run from us or continue to scrounge. I slunk into the house while poor hubby made several trips carrying in stuff from the car. I wisely thought it best that only one person be sprayed than two....  We made it in safely without incident.

The next day we took a day trip which again landed us home late, close to midnight. The front yard appeared empty of wildlife - yes! We wearily settled into the house to get ready for sleep. I flipped on the bathroom light and immediately SHRIEKED! as --something--scooted across the floor. I knew it was a mouse. I half closed the door and watched the furry brown critter try to exit via the floor vent, but it was closed so he scooted back out and paused on the floor for a minute.  I got a good look at him before closing the door and.....freaking.   We have ONE bathroom. I needed that bathroom.  I needed it WITHOUT a mouse in it.
Cute Mouse


We had long known we've had mice at times in the attic, but it was recently insulated and the tradesmen assured us that mice hate that insulation and we would have no more problems. The possibility of mice now moving into the walls and the rest of the house was too much for me.  Since it was now midnight, my dutiful husband said he would hit the 24-hour grocery store for mouse traps. He knew I wasn't going to rest until something was done with that mouse. But he stood motionless, staring out the front door.  "The skunks are back..."  He waited until he could safely manoeuvre past the outdoor kitties and then he was gone.....for a very long time....without a cell phone.  I sat on the stairs and watched the bottom of the bathroom door where I had stuffed a rug to prevent any exit of a furry creature that only needs a hole the size of a dime to collapse its body through. Every once in a while I adjusted the rug....just to be sure. And I wondered how we could possibly use the bathroom tonight even with a mousetrap. What if the critter raced out into the rest of the house? How could I sleep?

After an eternity, my husband returned empty handed - grocery stores don't stock mice-traps anymore. He assured me I'd be fine to just use the bathroom and the mouse wouldn't bother me. I looked at him like he had two heads. "It's just a little mouse!!!", he insisted, obviously tired and wanting to sleep....but his eyes defied him. He put on his shoes and bravely entered the bathroom. And the mouse remained....somewhere.....out of sight. I braved it too with slippers on, but removed everything from the bathroom that I'd be needing in the morning, and I prayed that I would not have to pee in the night!!!!  We left the light on and shut the door of the loo, stuffing the rug back in place beneath the door. At least the mouse would not enter the rest of the house and I could rest.

The next day we contacted a pest control company who promised us that they are going to eliminate our mouse problems forever (and no one would be hurt in this exercise) - or at least they provide a 5 year guarantee. The young part owner of the company said he would grab his gloves and check the bathroom for us. He went in, shut the door behind him, and proceeded to bang around in there. When he exited he stated that there was no mouse anywhere in the bathroom. He did show us a tiny hole in the bathroom closet that the mouse must have used to both enter and exit. As the fellow inspected outside our house I told him that we have seen rabbits, skunks, raccoons, mice, squirrels, chipmunks, possums and a recently spotted groundhog, to which he seemed genuinely amused. He promised they would never be a problem in relation to our house when they are finished their work....and he said I could feed the birds all I want when they are done. I liked him instantly.

And so, on the hottest day of the year so far, men came and 'sealed' in our house of any entrance point that a mouse (or bat...shudder....lets not go there) could get in. However, they installed two exit points - little cages from which the mice can exit but cannot get back in. They allow 6 weeks for everyone to leave the building, and then they remove the cages and seal it up. They assure us the mice will leave because they need water...and of course I provide all the food they....and all the other wildlife....could want via the bird feeders. I do NOT want to know how many mice leave our home.

So although the little hole in the bathroom closet is sealed up, I tread lightly in the house. We see no other evidence of mice inside, so I'm trusting they are just packing their bags and leaving.

One problem though. We just might be welcoming another influx of animals to the neighbourhood who prey on mice if their numbers suddenly increase outside. Wiki says the following animals eat mice:

Dogs, wolves, ferrets, badgers, bears, opossums, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, herons, otters, bobcats, lynx, mountain lions, alligators, crocodiles, minks, and skunks.

The day I see a mountain lion or crocodile in our yard will be the day I move out. Someone else can run the Bed and Breakfast!! 
Crocodile

No comments:

Post a Comment