Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Seeing red

This past winter I saw red.


Mixed in among all the finches and pine siskins on the nyger feeders throughout the winter, I noticed birds with little red caps.











No, they weren't toques for warmth but these little guys are built for winter weather.

Apparently, if they can eat constantly they will withstand bitter cold and can endure colder temperatures than any other songbird.


If they run out of fuel though, they can die of hypothermia.




So you know me.

I kept them well fed all through the long cold winter.






These little guys are called Redpolls and if they've been here other winters I can't say I noticed them. Apparently, they are temperamental and will show up when they feel like it, obviously if there's a good food supply.




This past week, they disappeared.


Unlike robins, they've gone to a colder climate which they prefer.


And that, my friends, is why I could never be a Redpoll.











(My apologies for the 'gaps' - Blogger can be frustrating for photo placement!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment