Saturday, June 16, 2007

Top Ten Things I Love About My Daughter






In celebration of my daughter's 21st birthday, I list below the Top Ten Things I Love About My Daughter. What thrills me to no end is that I'm not just making this stuff up to say something nice about her. They rolled off my keyboard with little effort and every single one of them is absolutely true and visible in her life. I cannot believe how blessed we have been to watch these qualities maturing within her from a young age to the ripe old age of 21.

10. She laughs. She giggles. She smiles a lot. She's almost always cheerful. If there are moments of uncheerfulness, there is a reason and she will quickly determine not to let it get her down.... even if she hasn't had her morning coffee yet or is not feeling well.

9. She loves kids...especially ones who struggle with difficulties that are no fault of their own. She sees potential in them and is thrilled with any small breakthroughs in their lives and in her relationships with them.

8. She's a peacemaker. Her brother (unfortunately?) almost always got his way because she would rather have peace, than what they were fighting over.

7. She perseveres. She doesn't allow sickness, tiredness, or disappointment to keep her down for long. She'll have a good cry (like a good female should), then picks herself up with determination to carry on.

6. She uses her failures, disappointments, and heartaches as stepping stones leading her to a much better place, and considers them wisdom for the journey.

5. She does not envy others. She has come to dislike the masks people wear, but admits her own shortcomings. She wants to be 'real' and is becoming confident in who God made her to be. She has specific goals and she recognizes that dreams don't just drop into your lap. They require prayer, decision making, action, and discipline. She sees the bigger picture, beyond her own desires for the moment. She knows she needs to work hard to reach the goal...and if that means not being careless with money, and sometimes setting aside social times (gasp!)....so be it.

4. She is kind and has a heart of compassion. Her heart tugs at her when she sees the 'down and out' around the big city. She's been known to give away her last 5 dollar bill to the homeless, only to receive it back again the same day.

3. She is grateful. Even in the smallest things we have done for her or given her, she has always responded with sincere thanks. She doesn't take her blessings for granted.

2. She has a sensitive conscience. If she heads down a wrong path or makes a wrong decision, she knows it almost immediately and cannot be peaceful until she gets turned back in the direction she needs to go. There is a risk of being misunderstood by others, but she is determined to avoid that which drags her down or takes her focus away from the peace and contentment in her relationship with God.

1. She wants to grow and learn and thrive with excellence, and is not content with mediocre. It is her number one concern to love her God with all of her heart, all of her soul, all of her mind, and all of her strength. She knows when she focuses on that, there's no room left to be wrapped up in herself. When my daughter had to 'preach' in class, she chose the sermon title, "It's Not All About Me". I think she's on to something here.

Wish I'd penned these words, but Steven Curtis Chapman beat me to it for his daughter!:

Aren't you the little one That hid in my arms afraid of the thunder?

Are these the little hands That held so tight to mine

Didn't we both agree you'd never grow up

And now here we are And here you go

Of all the things I want to say The thing you really need to know is...

I believe in you Yeah, I believe in you

Everything you are Everything you are becoming

And I believe in youYeah, I believe in you

So spread your wings and fly On the winds of knowing

I Always believe in you

So many prayers we've prayed So many dreams to get to this moment

Now this is where we stay While you go change the world

But I'll be where I have always been

Up in the stands cheering you on and

Singing this song A song the very God who made you Has been singing all along

I believe in you Yeah, I believe in you

So spread your wings and fly On the winds of knowing

I Will always believe in you

And when you rise and when you fall I'll still believe in you

Just close your eyes and hear me calling

I believe in you Oh, I believe in you

(I Believe in You, written by Steven Curtis Chapman to his daughter)

No comments:

Post a Comment